Placeholder canvas

Grandparent’s/Relative’s Rights

Houston Grandparents’/Relatives’ Visitation Rights

During a divorce or child custody dispute, the relationship that grandparents once enjoyed with their grandchildren may be threatened. However, grandparents and other relatives may have rights to child visitation in certain circumstances. This a complex and ever-changing area of family law that is best navigated with a skilled Houston attorney with experience in grandparents’/relatives’ visitation rights on your side.

At Carter Morris, LLP, we understand how special your relationship is with your grandchildren. We know that you may even be raising your grandchildren. We are committed to helping grandparents and other relatives throughout Texas protect and maintain these special relationships. Our attorneys bring a wealth of knowledge and experience to each grandparents’/relatives’ visitation rights case. Several of our attorneys are board-certified in family law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

If you are a grandparent struggling to maintain a relationship with your grandchild during or after your child’s divorce, call us at 713-626-3345 to learn about your options and rights.

Attorneys who Understand Grandparents’/Relatives’ Visitation Rights in Southeast Texas

During a divorce or separation or following the death of a parent, a grandparent’s relationship with his or her grandchildren can be significantly strained. If one parent has sole custody, the relationship may be permanently severed.

The U.S. Constitution protects a parent’s right to raise his or her children without interference from others. In some cases, however, a judge may grant visitation with a grandparent or other relative if it is in the best interests of the child and:

  • The parental rights of at least one of the parents have not been terminated; and
  • Your child (the parent of your grandchild) has been incarcerated for three months, has been found incompetent or is deceased; or
  • The parents of your grandchild have filed for divorce or have been living separately for three months.

If both of your grandchild’s parents are found to be incompetent or are deceased, you may be able to obtain custody of your grandchild. Our lawyers will help you understand the laws and vigorously protect your interests.

Contact Us

To discuss your case with one of our seasoned attorneys, you may contact us online or call 713-626-3345.

Skip to content