Custody and Visitation Modifications

Houston Custody and Visitation Modifications

Unfortunately, child custody and visitation disputes often continue between mothers and fathers after a divorce. In these cases, one parent often seeks a change of child custody or a change of visitation provisions contained in an existing custody order (in Texas referred as a parenting plan).

Custody and visitation disputes may also involve grandparents, step-parents and third parties with an interest in the welfare of a child. Anyone involved in a contested custody dispute or visitation dispute should contact an experienced family law attorney who can provide dependable legal representation.

At Carter Morris, LLP, we offer experienced legal representation for people seeking or opposing a custody or visitation modification. If you need help with a custody or visitation matter, call our office in Houston, Texas, at 713-626-3345.

Custody Modifications

When a motion for modification of custody is considered by a court in Texas, the judge will consider the welfare of the child and the proposed grounds for a change of custody. Courts are reluctant to make a change of custody without sufficient cause. It is important, therefore, to consult with an experienced attorney to determine if you have a valid basis for a motion for modification of custody.

Potential grounds for a change of custody may include physical abuse, sexual abuse, neglect, drug dependency by a parent, alcohol dependency that causes a parent to be unfit, and other parenting issues that may result in physical or emotional damage to a child.

Visitation (also known as “possession and access”) Disputes

The visitation provisions of an existing divorce order or paternity order entered in the past may no longer serve the best interests of the child. In the event that changed circumstances have rendered a previous order unmanageable, you may need to file a motion for modification of visitation. The lawyers at Carter Morris, LLP have extensive experience in custody and visitation modifications. If you need to speak with an attorney about filing or opposing a motion for change of custody or visitation, we encourage you to contact our Houston office for assistance.

Contact Us

To speak with an attorney or schedule an appointment, call Carter Morris, LLP at 713-626-3345.For assistance online, contact us by e-mail.

Skip to content